Re: [LUG] Kppp and pppd - differences?

John Horne wrote:

I received instructions for my new ISP account on Friday,

Which ISP?

I got a connection, a
response indicating the speed/protocols, and then gibberish (it appears in
the /var/log/messages file) - as expected from a modem but what is usually
interpreted by pppd.

First line or two of gibberish - a cut and paste of minicom
session might be useful.

Any ideas anyone? As said I have kppp so basically I am happy; more curious
than anything.

PPP does look like gibberish, is it the authentication scheme,
as I think CHAP (and MS-CHAP) don't look like normal logins,
unlike PAP and other options.