Re: [LUG] Anybody tried the FREESCO router

Cough - urm Dynamic DNS - well I use nsupdate to update my local
DNS manually - this is the kind of sick discipline only regulars
in comp.protocols.dns.bind would inflict on themselves.

I took the middle road when developing dynamic DNS for my users. The DDNS 'server' is a PHP script which accepts an IP address. It uses Basic Auth (over SSL) to authenticate the users. The PHP script (which can also be used from a browser to manually change things) calls nsupdate and uses BIND's key mechanism to authenticate this (although to be honest I trust local users to not screw things up for everyone as they are paying for this server).

The client is 2 lines of shell scripting that uses ifconfig, sed and awk to retrieve the IP address and wget to update the server :) These 2 lines of course go in /etc/ppp/ip-up :)

J.

--
Jon Still                               E-mail: jon@xxxxxxxxxxx
System Administrator                    Web:    http://www.tertial.org/