DDNS Re: [LUG] Anybody tried the FREESCO router

Jon Still wrote:

The client is 2 lines of shell scripting that uses ifconfig, sed and awk
to retrieve the IP address and wget to update the server :)  These 2
lines of course go in /etc/ppp/ip-up :)

The guru's all (well the few I've discussed it with at N3K, and
ISC) say let the DHCP server do it, rather than introducing a
webserver.

Did you look at this route? There are some scripts and stuff for
recent DHCP servers.

I braved zero admin networking around a mates house the other
night on Microsoft. Didn't work, but I think that is something
to do with his W2K laptop. Looks to have a stray network card
configured - M$ even have a knowledgebase article on such
dreadful crud in the registry - he didn't want to install RedHat
7, probably all those Oracle for NT databases on the
laptop....:(

Perhaps we should wind up the IETF and do a Linux zero admin
networking utility suite ;)