Re: [LUG] furthering the revolution: ECDL

On Wed, 6 Feb 2002, Mike Callaghan wrote:
I'm quite happy with Staroffice as an alternative to MS Office but I
haven't been able to get my head around MySQL quite so easily as with
Access. What sort of front-ends offer levels of flexibility similar to
Access while retaining the power to work with the data in a variety of
ways?

kmysql :) - google and freshmeat.net are your friends try searching for
"gui mysql postgres".

There are a wide selection of cross-db front ends now. Having said that it
is well worth learning to use a command line - it is frequently quicker.

Also postgres provides a GUI IIRC - Postgres has a bit more infrastructure
and better SQL / Transaction support than mysql - it is also case
sensitive and doesn't allow you to remove fields from tables (grrrh!) so
can catch you out if you treat it liek mysql. Transactions are a good
habit to get into - especially from teh command line - you can go :

begin work;
insert into table (column1,column2) values ('foo',bar');
select * from table;
rollback;

to check the right thing happens - very important when using DELETE or
DROP or ALTER

rgds,

A.

--
<A HREF = "http://termisoc.org/~betty";> Betty @ termisoc.org </A>
"As a youngster Fred fought sea battles on the village pond using a