[LUG] OSD: Update: Open Source Day 27th April 2002 Exeter University

Currently;

Laver Building Floor 6, Exeter University, 10-4, Saturday 27th
April.

We have a good selection of speakers already. I have one or two
requests out to big organisations who we will either substitute
or fit in if they can provide speakers.

Topics: History of Open Source, An Open Source ISP, MySQL(?),
PostgreSQL, Open Source Astrophysics, VPN's, Open Source
Medicine, Linux Terminal Server, The Two year Old Open Source
Office (Possibly substituted if we get a speaker from SUN or
Open Office, or other, or Malcolm overruns(?!)).

We'll jazz up the titles, and stuff before we seek further
publicity.

I'm happy to fit in some shorter speeches, particularly quick
case studies of businesses using Open Source software, even if
these are just people standing up and speaking about their own
open source experiences without a great deal of preparation.

Demonstrations are thin on the ground.... urm one so far.

Demonstrations: Site Valet (Website maintainance, standard
conformance and accessibility issues for websites).

The demonstrations don't have to be rocket science.
Demonstrating installing the same Redhat version on the same PC
a few times is fine. Showing people around KDE 2.2 GUI and
default apps is cool. Just someone sat at a pretty screen
prepared to talk to people, and explain what is what creates the
right sort of dialogue. Pretty people preferably, but we are an
equal opportunity community ;)

Do we have anyone prepared to show Open Source development in
action - CVS, KDevelop, or other tools and help people be better
Open Source developers? As this is a repeated request. Failing
this someone prepared to act as a focus for an Open Source
Developer self help group on the day ?

I thought this was what SLUG was for ;-)

To Do.....

1) Need to clarify Internet connection availability in Corridor
(Nick M, Neil B?)

2) Need to sort out distro's, freebies, and promotional
material.

Redhat (Malcolm can you help on that?)
SuSe are offering 7.1 Pro for a nominal fee (Postage? - is it
too old? Comments to me)
Other (Faye speak to guy who organised national Linux day last
year for some more contacts).
Anyone know of good sources of other Open Source goodies?

3) Prepare publicity material and plan (Faye, Paul S (posters),
EVERYONE!)

We have lists of local newspapers, and magazines, but they
weren't that successful last time, so we'll try them again
but.... WORD OF MOUTH WORKS BETTER - invite people, colleagues,
business associates, MCSEs (Especially MCSE's they need it
most). People are much happier attending if they know (or even
think) they'll know someone at the event.

We should also use Business Link, Karat Krunch, and Digital
Peninsula, to pull in relevant business people.

We'll also e-mail everyone who said we could contact them when
registering for the Linux day last year whose e-mail address we
can decipher from the list of attendees.

Newsgroups - which other than uk.comp.os.linux should I use for
promoting the day?

What else have I forgotten?

The LUG lists have gotten rather busy with Open Source day
stuff. Send stuff to me (Simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) in response
to this, and lets give those who aren't so interested in it a
break for a few days before they start complaining.

Suggest we prefix subject lines with "OSD" (Open Source Day) to
help.

Simon
--
Are you using the Internet to best effect ? www.eighth-layer.com
Tel: +44(0)1395 232769      ICQ: 116952768