Subject: Linux @ School - Are we serious?
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 20:19:35 +0000
From: David Johnson <dj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: swlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to ask how many people would be willing to get involved in
Linux @ School...
What I'd like to do is have a "Linux in Education" event some time,
rather like our meeting at Ylem. The idea would be to invite local heads
of ICT and get them thinking about Linux - for all the reasons we've
already heard.
I think it's important that we do try to get Linux into schools so that
the kids "get a better start in life" (knowing that there is a world
beyond MS). The various issues discussed recently have been very
encouraging and interesting so now I want to know - who is serious and
wants to get actively involved?
I would like us to get involved in (or start) local Linux in School
projects (someone, sorry I lost the mail, mentioned the possibility of
getting Linux in as a backup server?) locally in the SW.
Linux Format have already seen the article on our site and offered words
of support (and publicity for anything we do). I think this is an
important area that many organisations have tried to get into and failed
for whatever reason. I think that we can make this work locally, if we
only get one school running Linux it will be worth it.

If there is enough interest I think that we should get a seperate
mailing list set up for this, I know the D&C LUG have a few
interested/experienced people on their list who would probably be
interested so I think we should get everyone together rather than it
just being "us".

I've had a look at the OSIE site Simon provided in a previous e-mail and
I think this is great. It would be great if we could have a few people
from those schools along to the Linux in Education meeting (presuming it
goes ahead) to talk about their experiances - it would help convince
others to have a go too.
Just in case you missed the e-mail that url is: osie.sourceforge.net .

Please do let me know your thoughts...

David.

--
Microsoft Tech Support: Windows? Oh it does that sometimes.