Re: [LUG] Apache: only serve documents a day or more old?

On Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 05:24:08PM +0000, Adrian Midgley wrote:

One of the points of it would be that it is quickly put together from
available pieces (high quality well-tested modules with known behaviour I
mean), tied together with a very little code written to perform a specific
task.

Try not to give too much false hope to the idea that simple software,
such as this, would be better done by writing abstract modules and
then putting them together with a little perl glue.

In my experience, "lego programming", as I call it has the following,
unfortunate side effects:

1) if the module is written:
  a) Modules are often "complete", in as much as they do everything
     in context, not just what you want. This can cause bloat.
  b) Modules can sometimes do things in ways you don't want, under the
     banner of "correctness".
  b) One cannot rely on the qualty of the code written and it is often
     easier to write what you want than debug someone elses code.

2) if the module has not been written:
  a) Too much time is put into writing a "complete" module which can
     be used for other purposes.
  b) Interfaces are written to allow for generic use, as opposed to
     what you might want, in context.

Theo's mod_age is superb; I like it a lot. I'm not saying it's not
useful, but it may be folley to say "right, we've got this module, now
we must use it", when a few lines of application specific code would
have done the trick. It may be the case, in fact, that it is the best
solution, but there is no reason to make that kind of descision at
this stage.

I remember an example of a freidn who asked a question about
dates. They wanted to format a date in a specific way. There were
people raving on about this module and that, but it came down to one
line of perl to do the trick. CPAN is great, I use bits of it, but
using modules for the sake of it is silly.

Better, I say, to write the thing, and then, if time permits, rips out
sections which fall into obvious modules. Then, if time permits, fancy
up those modules for reuse.

Reuse should not be the primary goal of software development, solving
the problem in hand should be.

The story being told to much of the health service, including
general practices who have run terminals on SCO Unix for years, is
that email can only be done on Windows, that Word documents cannot
be read without Windows, and that all of this is easy to use and
secure against supplier variation and intruders.

Eww!

One has to wonder whether the NHS planning and management
performance is distinguished by its level of effectiveness in IT, or
if it manages a uniform effectiveness across a wide range of
management and business activity.

Who dares to speculate?

Steve