[LUG] NEWS: Other Linux User Groups in the area - An "OPEN SOURCE" day is promised!

Hi All,

just a note to say it has been a busy weekend. Quite apart from
doing my part for Exeter chess club in opposition to the evil
foe in the West (Plymouth Chess Club), I've been to two Linux
User Group meetings!

SLUG Incorporared.

Friday saw Nick organising the first Student Linux User Group
(SLUG) meeting at Exeter Uni.

It was just a kick-off session, lots of free copies of Linux got
distributed, enough names (more than 25) were collected to
incorporate the group as a formal body within the Guild
(assuming they all cough up 2 quid).

I foolishly promised to help organise another "Event" similar to
the last Linux day. Got Neil to agree to "Open Source" as the
brief rather than specifically Linux. Exeter University are
offering to accomodate us free this time, and in more luxurious
surroundings.

We'll be looking at a Saturday, during "term" time, toward late
spring.

South West Linux User Group

The South West Linux User Group had a meeting Saturday at the
Ylem Training Center (Near Dulverton). The meeting was well
attended (18+) and the hosts laid on a buffet style hot lunch.

Several presentations on peoples experiences with Linux in
business, and a man from AXEL explaining how their VNC based
thin clients work with Linux.

Some discussion of ApplixWare (Or whatever it is called these
days), which as a serious Applix user whilst at the Met. Office
I could even contribute usefully to, as well as other Office
Suites (Which the speaker wasn't impressed with).

Many of the attendees were from local businesses, just
interested to find out more. I asked a few people if they would
mind giving a presentation at an "Open Source" day and two
people were very happy to speak (One may even be "on-topic").

The South West Linux User Group is quite happy to merge
identities slightly, or at least co-operate. I shall go read
what was said last time on topic of merger, and solicit
opinions. Most people seem happy to have two groups. I think the
SWLUG would be happy to merge their mailing list, their list is
currently quite small and low volume.

Hopefully having three Linux User Groups contributing to the
"Open Source Day" will get us three times the attendance figures
at least - or doesn't it work like that?

       Simon

PS: I'm not planning to attend any more LUG's, but it is London
Monday, Aberporth Wednesday, and Lincoln on Sunday, so who knows
;-)

--
Are you using the Internet to best effect ? www.eighth-layer.com
Tel: +44(0)1395 232769      ICQ: 116952768