Re: [LUG] GCC compilation?

David Johnson wrote:

I suppose REALLY I'd like to learn Java, PHP or Perl but I must be
realistic!

Java is cool, can't really comment on PHP or Perl in depth.

Learning Java would be a good introduction to C++, although you
might decide that Java is enough. The big problem with learning
computer languages is the libraries, whether C, C++, or Java.
You have to learn your libraries or object hierarchies to become
truely productive in these languages, although once you've seen
a selection of these in one language you can guess pretty well
what is likely to exist in other languages of the same type.

I've seen otherwise quite "good" programmers implement their own
linked links in C++ through ignorance of the STL - arghhhhhhhh