Re: [LUG] XP and firewalls

kevin bailey wrote:

he does not refute the fact that there is a security problem - but says
that more notice should be taken of other security problems like a
recent oracle vulnerability.  i would say that an XP vulnerability will
have far greater impact.

I think that is a fair view point of itself. I had a horrid
thought the other day, if someone writes an Oracle SQL*NET &
NET8 aware worm that tries the default Oracle passwords, and
e-mails itself, it could wipe out a substantial proportion of
company databases.

this one claims that steve gibson is 'loopy' and 'talking bollocks'!!!

Steve went over the top in reference to XP making it easier to
send spoofed packets.

Sending malformed packets is easy on Linux (for root), but
Windows has required extra software to do this before, XP will
make it easier.

Spoofed packets are harder to trace back (in theory, some ISPs
can trace spoofed packets either than genuine ones as they stand
out like a straw in a needle factory), so yes Steve is right we
will see more spoofed packets. But since a virus or worm could
install the extra code Windows need, it is just making it
slightly easier, and spoofed packets should be dealt with in
routers and firewall, not on every desktop.

i don't think the shields-up probe is supposed to be totally
comprehensive - just a first point of checking

Yes - if you want to secure Desktop PC's there are some really
good "auditing" tools around. Pretending your the attacker is
fine for quick risk analysis, and double check, but you aren't
the attacker, you can run a program on every PC to spot
misconfigurations. This can reduce support effort as well as
keep things safer.

Compare running "nmap" against your own box to running
"netstat".

Nmap shows my port 80 open, netstat shows port 80 is listened to
by "ip_trap" - so the external view looks iffy, the internal
view reveals a rosier picture.

- it showed some closed
and one (unecessarily) open port on my works win2k server which was
useful because my boss has now allocated some resources to locking the
box down.

I can spend that for you ;) I resell some Windows lock down
software (One of my distributors stocks it as a standard line)
have to admit I haven't sold any as it doesn't run on Linux ;)
But if your interested in getting details let me know, and I'll
get a copy for you to look at.

I use to work with S-to-Infinity, they had some products for
this as well - really cool registry monitor when making registry
entries read-only was unusual in Windows. Much more useful for
actually finding out what things applications did to the
registry than actually locking it down (Which always breaks
things).

Not sure if S-to-Infinity is around, I never saw it after NT4
and they were getting into encrypted document management. Nice
company though - really good attitude to resellers and
customers.

The grc site has taken a lot of flak since Steve got hit by that script
kiddie and went (IMHO) OTT in his response.

I don't know, if your business depends on the Internet
connection, and some script kiddie takes it out... Steve never
made people read his documentation of the experience, and I
gathered some ideas on better designs for big company Internet
connections from his experiences!

Steve did make a bit of a pratt of himself in a public flame
war, haven't we all made a pratt of ourselves on Usenet at one
point? But Steve's heart is in the right place, he tries to help
people protect their PC's and tries to make a living doing it,
if he isn't the greatest ever security guru, well Richard
Stallman might not be the greatest ever programmer but that
doesn't mean you wouldn't want him to try.

The only thing worse than to try and fail, is not to try.

anyway - MS have hacked me off too much recently, especially cos their
web proxy server - ISA - looks like it only works for IE.  i have tried
to use mozilla and netscape in work because IE keeps crashing my machine
but the server refuses their requests.  the poor guys at mozilla are
trying to find a way around it - i'm thinking of suggesting that they
put up a message to the effect that ISA is not a true proxy server but
MS specific only.  people should ask for their money back!!!

I'm sure I've seen a workaround for this - other than urm run
squid or Apache as the web proxy, or let me sell you a nice
firewall ;)... Why would one use MS Proxy server, a case of
'less' costing 'more'. Trusting any security critical
application to Microsoft is beginning to look like pretty dodgy
planning, they clearly aren't interested in security, it doesn't
sell software ---- "Cool Sells", Bill Gates said so, and he
should know, he has sold more software than any of us.