Re: [LUG] Just Curious?

hi mathew,

even if your wife is only happy with XP you could still benefit from open source software - i'd be interested to know how openoffice 6 for windows compares.

be careful about connecting the XP machine directly to the internet - see http://grc.com/default.htm

BTW - there are two great tools on the site for testing firewalls under the shields up link - i managed a clean sweep - nothing to show [for now anyway :o) ]. i'd be interested in anyone else's firewalls results - or any windows machine's results. i'll test out the firewall at work (windows SBS) and post the results,

kev

matthew.gibbons@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Small network,

Frodo:    750MHz Athlon, 768MB, 40GB, DVD, CD/RW, Windows/XP
Bilbo: 166MHz Pentium, 64MB, 4GB, My own Linux 2.4.8, CVS, DHCP, DNS, FTP
(ProFTPd), HTTP (Apache), NNTP, SMTP (Qmail)
Sting: 166MHz Pentium, 64MB, 4GB, My own Linux 2.4.8, NetFilter, PPP, Squid,
Diald
Smaug: 750MHz Pentium Laptop (Toshiba Tecra 8100), 256MB, 10GB, DVD, My own
Linux 2.4.17

Yes, I did buy Windows/XP Home Edition, and to be honest, I really like it. And
that is a high accolade, considering my feelings about free software. My wife
can't run Linux. I've tried everything I can to get her to use it, but it always
causes a problem somewhere along the line, which she is unable to cope with. It
is not that she couldn't learn, she just doesn't have the time. She's a user,
and Windows/XP is a user's operating system.

If anyone is interested, I might post a review of Windows/XP. Flames? :-)

Cheers,
Matthew