RE: [LUG] Just Curious?

We see countless examples of linux running on various old machines but
out of interest what sort of spec computer do group members have
there favourite flavour of linux running on?

Does anyone besides myself use it as a standalone workstation on newer
hardware?

Not a workstation as such, I tend to use linux as a server of various sorts.

Not too sure where this thread is going except to show my poverty: :-)

'ash' - AMD Duron 700Mhz, 128MB memory, ATI rage 128 (16MB) graphics, 20GB +
13GB disks, Dell 17" monitor, 56K modem, 100MB zip drive (parallel), old SB16
clone (again, old, cheap, but has always worked :-)), 52x cdrom, redhat 7.2
(2.4.16 kernel).

'willow' - P200MMX, 64MB memory, S3 virge DX, 2GB disk, 2x cdrom (!!),
Windows NT4 (workstation).

The 2 disks on ash were software raided together (not anymore). It worked
quite well, and no real noticeable performance drop. So at the moment I have
quite a bit of space available.

Both systems are linked, if necessary, by a Netgear 4-port hub (10Mbps), so
the NT box can get onto the 'net if required via the modem on 'ash', and
the linux box will act as a firewall (using iptables). I also have a KVM
switch which allows me to use just the one mouse, vdu, keyboard for both
systems - nicely saves on space in my hovel!

John.