Re: [LUG] Wanting to really put an effort to learn Linux properl

Steve Marvell wrote:

I thought there was some optimisation for pentiums, or summat.

Yes - when the kernel and packages are built it uses GCC the
"i568" instead of the "i386" option. This is done on a few new
distro's and mean they will usually only run on Pentiums or
better.

In practise the gain isn't huge (Although it depends what your
doing, but GCC is not good at processor specific optimisations -
effort usually goes on optimisations that work across all
platforms), but if you aren't into i386 technology no more then
it is worth having.

Since I picked up a 300MHz Pentium box free of charge last year,
I doubt many still want to run Linux on 386's.