Re: [LUG] Upgrades to mandrake 7.2 ?

hi there ray,

usb packages and xfree86 4.x are in the currently in the testing
packages.  however - if you wish to use them now they are both available
- and the received wisdom is that when the packages reach the testing
phase they have been through plenty of testing and checking already and
are perfectly usable.  so - you can add a source for the testing packages
by typing

apt-setup

and using the text-based graphical app.

and then install the packages required - check the package listings at
the website.  they have xservers which cover a huge number of graphics cards.

debian work to their own timescale and only release software when it is
considered ready - and all dependencies etc have been properly sorted
out.  so you could make a case for debian not being behind - but that the
other distros are rushing ahead with code which has not been properly
'put to bed'.  as a programmer i can easily say that work which is not
finished properly will ALWAYS come back and haunt you.

i've snipped this from the www.uk.debian.org site - potato is the current
release based on the 2.2 kernel - woody is the next release due out.

-------8<--------------------------8<----------------------8<-----------
--------
Woody is On the Way
The code name for the next major Debian release after
potato is ``woody''. This release will be
numbered ``3.0''.
This distribution is currently in the
``testing'' phase,
but stabilizing and close to being
``frozen''.
The potato installation system is no longer being actively maintained,
and we recommend using the woody installer for new installations, even
though it is not available on CD yet. The new installation manual and the
release notes
are available for preview.
As usual, no specific release goals are being set,
nor will a release date be specified in advance. To put it
simply, "Debian releases when it is time".
Expected major upgrades, by the time woody releases, include GLibC
2.2, GCC 3.0, XFree86 4.1 and Perl 5.6. Linux kernel 2.4 is judged not
to be mature enough to be a default for most architectures at this time,
but you can install a 2.4 kernel from Debian after completing your
installation. It's also likely that the debconf package
will be used in nearly all the packages which need to prompt in the
maintainer scripts.

--------

hope this helps,

kev

PS - i see you're at eurobell - any news RE cable modems - whenever i've
asked eurobell they've always said 'not yet - don't know when'.

On 12/15/01, 1:19:51 PM, "Ray Smith" <raysmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote
regarding Re: [LUG] Upgrades to mandrake 7.2 ?: