[LUG] Response to Cabinet Office RFC ; moving onward

In Exeter we have a branch of Hill House Hammond, a large insurance firm.
Their many branches run on a customs Linux solution produced by  Frnech firm
called Linbox.  It is a tailored solution on a CD, on IBM Netfinity servers.

I doubt this is the only reason their insurance business and service is good,
but they are a good example.

Who else do we have?

I suggest that a good response and a useful item to persist, would be an
appraisal of current business use in Exeter, and of support options and
availability in Exeter, with suggestions for how firms can assure themselves
of support for a Linux based solution ranging from a file and print server
with a mail server on one or two machines, supporting a network of machines
running another OS, up to thin client stuff and Linux workstations.

I suggest that getting some Chamber of Commerce or Council involvement even
if it is only a comment "good work pleased to see Exeter at forefront of
digital revolution etc etc" would enhance this, and is a process to follow.

The University/academic facet is well-represented on here I think.

Shall we kick it around a bit, then those that find something of interest
write sections and then combine the whole?
--
Midgley