Re: [LUG] Linux in Schools - client licences

Quoting Paul Sutton <psutton@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Hi
>
> With regard to client licences,  NT server and Win2k,  how does the user /
> client licencing situation work, I have the impression that if I have say
> 15
> user workstations I need to add 15 client licences to the server in order
> for all of them to be able to connect,.  is this for each user account,  or
> just for each computer,

You need to have one 'CAL' on your server for every computer that will be
accessing the server.

> in thinking that if I have a Linux server and 50 Nt work stations,  I only
> need to pay for the NT software licences, and not have to pay a additional
> fee for each client linked to the server.  (and of course the licences for
> office and any other software I would want to use).

Yes, If you have a Linux server running Samba you can do away with the NT/2000
server and CAL's.  The only licence you will require is the copy of Windows and
software on the clients.

We have a Win 2K server (for political reasons only) running as our PDC, and
then 4 Linux servers providing user areas, email, proxy, printing and
multimedia.  The only licences on the servers are for the Win2k server.

> I am not fully sure what the problem is,  and don't really understand
> client
> licences I have a very rough idea.  But a while back at the other school
> where I work we added a 15 station computer suite and not all the children
> could log on at the same time,  however I could log on to around 5 machines
> as me,  and so could the teacher as himself,  the technician had to add
> clients to the server or something (NT with Win98 clients). and this fixed
> the problem.

There are two ways of addings CALS to the server, per 'seat' or something else
but this changed with Windows 2000 i believe.

Adam

--
Adam Scott
Network Manager

   Pool School & Community College ICT Department

The school does not accept responsibility for the
content of messages sent from this system.  Misuse
of the service should be reported to...
         postmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

         http://www.pool.cornwall.sch.uk