Re: [LUG] Linux in Schools - client licences

Hi

With regard to client licences,  NT server and Win2k,  how does the user /
client licencing situation work, I have the impression that if I have say 15
user workstations I need to add 15 client licences to the server in order
for all of them to be able to connect,.  is this for each user account,  or
just for each computer,

How can Linux help here,  as at the school where I work, (not in IT but I
know the network manager),  the computers keep dropping users, They are not
sure if it was something to do with Integrating NT servers and Win2k
clients,  I suggested the client licenses as they have installed new
computers, perhaps they need to buy additional licences for each new
potential user who will be logged in  or something,  I pointed out that
Linux does not require this (or at least I don;t think it does),  Am I right
in thinking that if I have a Linux server and 50 Nt work stations,  I only
need to pay for the NT software licences, and not have to pay a additional
fee for each client linked to the server.  (and of course the licences for
office and any other software I would want to use).

I am not fully sure what the problem is,  and don't really understand client
licences I have a very rough idea.  But a while back at the other school
where I work we added a 15 station computer suite and not all the children
could log on at the same time,  however I could log on to around 5 machines
as me,  and so could the teacher as himself,  the technician had to add
clients to the server or something (NT with Win98 clients). and this fixed
the problem.

Just a though as I could suggest Linux as a alternative as they could add
some users to the network via Linux, or something to save money.

Do I have the right idea, or do I sound totally lost (most likely).

Paul