Re: [LUG] Linux in Schools

[...]

> for half that, does anyone know of any Install-Fests aimed at
> schools?   This news item shows what's happening abroad:......

- Not heard of anything but you may be interested to know that St.
Boniface's (RC) School outside Plymouth has installed three networks
based entirely upon Linux for the use of its pupils.  Perhaps
contacting them would give you some clues re: selling points etc.

> It's been hard to avoid the debate about the lack of sophistication
> of desktop office suites on Linux, but surely what's available is
> good and reliable enough for primary schools?

- The debate is a load of FUD.  I've got AbiWord 0.9.5 and it is fine
for all wordprocessing.  Oh, you can't 'record a macro' in VBA.
Gnumeric does the job also.  If you want to produce some classy
documents have a blast at TeXmacs - proving popular in our house.
</troll>