Re: [LUG] Linux in Schools

MATTHEW BROWNING wrote:

> > It's been hard to avoid the debate about the lack of sophistication
> > of desktop office suites on Linux, but surely what's available is
> > good and reliable enough for primary schools?
> >

> - The debate is a load of FUD.  I've got AbiWord 0.9.5 and it is fine
> for all wordprocessing.  Oh, you can't 'record a macro' in VBA.
> Gnumeric does the job also.  If you want to produce some classy
> documents have a blast at TeXmacs - proving popular in our house.
> </troll>

Hmm, Applixware offers an excellent Office suite - it isn't free
- but it isn't as much as some one could mention, and runs on
every platform under the sun, except HP-UX (But they are above
the sun <hehehe - that should upset Alex ;->).

We have our own Linux fan hid at a school in Exeter.

There is much talk of Install fests in the air.

If there is the interest in a school specific Install fest I'd
be happy to help organise one.

I wouldn't mortgage the house and go into this as a business, as
you just missed your chance to do Exeter college.

Although starting your own business doesn't always mean
mortgaging the house, indeed I got my mortgage about 6 months
before starting my own business - the mortgage companies prefer
to lend money to the salaried.

--
Are you using the Internet to best effect ? www.eighth-layer.com
Tel: +44(0)1395 232769      ICQ: 116952768