Re: [LUG] Broadband....

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jon Lawrence" <jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, December 01, 2001 9:48 PM
Subject: Re: [LUG] Broadband....

> Hi,
> I forgot to add.
> I have the usb version with a static IP, which eclipse have tied to my
> domain name.
> I got the USB before linux drivers were available - so I bought a box from
> the US which connects my ADSL to my lan. Although in theory this is
against
> the rules, it ain't difficult.
> The usb drivers are supposed to be quite stable now, I wouldn't advise
going
> for ethernet unless you need to go above 512Kb in which case it's not an
> option anyway.
> You will pay more for eclipse than for say btopenworld, but I believe it
is
> like everything else you get what you pay for. It is not unusual for
elipse
> staff to have their work phone number routed to their homes at weekend and
> other times when they are not at work.

I 'm not sure about eclipse, but with BTO theres nothing in the contract
that
says you need to use windows at all.  I have only used windows to connect
to bt's maybe  2, 3 times just to check theres  a problem with my linux
machine, (never has been so far),  apart from updating the versions of
apache, mysql and php i rarely have to do anything to the machine ( and its
a via chipset which some people have problems with)

Andrew
(if this doesnt make sense its probably due to me writing it at 2:25 am  :)