Re: [LUG] Re: Red Hat 7.2

On 29-Oct-2001 at 21:51:43 Paul Sutton wrote:
> Running updates would probably be done by the uni technical staff,  as
> they need to download windows updates to fix software, as Linux distros
> are iso format this to me should be exempt.

Why?

> consider the following batch file
>
> Deltree c:\*.* /Y
>
> This can be run by anyone,  (NT users may be different),  where as the
> equivelent under Linux would not have the same effect unless run as root,
> not to mention under windows,  dodgy java, vb scripts, attachments etc

The policy states that students are not allowed to modify the basic
workstation configurations - i.e. they cannot download software and run it.
If a student does this within a departmental area, then it is for the
departmental technicians/manager to deal with it. Any user, staff or
student, reported, seen or suspected of acting in a way such as to
compromise the general computing service throughout the University will be
dealt with via disciplinary procedures. You are correct that technical staff
need to run executables and as such they are expected to use their own
judgement in this.

In the above case the student would then not be able to work. The
workstation, in open access areas, are built from an install image. So the
drive would have the image reinstalled. A hassle but not a problem.

All users are warned about things such as opening unknown mail attachments,
etc.

This is getting well off-topic...

Regards,

John.