Re: [LUG] Linux partitions

On Tue, Oct 16, 2001 at 09:24:44PM +0100, Neil Williams wrote:
> On Tuesday 16 October 2001  9:28 pm, kam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote about Re:
> [LUG] Linux partitions:
> > On Tue, Oct 16, 2001 at 06:15:43PM +0100, Neil Williams wrote:
> > > (Someone please tell me I'm reading this right before I trash this system
> > > AGAIN!)
> > >
> > Well, discretion can be the better part of valour. Do you really need
> > to do this?
> > Keith
>
> No, I don't really need to do it - it's more of a nuisance than anything
> else. I'm beginning to think now that when I next upgrade Linux on that
> machine, I'll make tarballs of  /home and certain parts of /etc and go for a
> clean install. That way Mandrake will use the entire disk, create the swap
> space again, leave one partition for the rest and I'll restore functionality
> from the tarballs (temporarily stored on another machine on the LAN).

Mandrake will probably try to set up multiple partitions if you look away at
the wrong moment :)

> I did try moving parts around, but that's how I last trashed the system. I
> moved /etc
>
> Yes, I know (NOW!) - moving /etc to a different partition from /boot means
> that the kernel cannot work out the init level as there seems to be no init
> scripts! Result: It hangs on reboot. (And I lose lot of sleep.)

Could easily have been me, merrily sawing off the branch I'm sitting on, as
it were, and it's so obvious after the event ...
Surely there's one HOW-TO still to be written ... 100 Easy Ways To Trash Your
System Without Really Trying!

When I moved part of my file system I initially left everything in place
and just renamed the directory before making a stub directory with the
old name to mount the new disk on. That way if I'd broken the system
I could have put things back by booting from a rescue floppy and renaming
a couple of directories and commenting out a line in /etc/fstab.
As it happened it all worked fine, but I still kept my fingers crossed
for a week or so before I began to remove the original files from the
old disk.

Keith