Re: [LUG] Linux partitions

On Tuesday 16 October 2001  9:28 pm, kam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote about Re:
[LUG] Linux partitions:
> On Tue, Oct 16, 2001 at 06:15:43PM +0100, Neil Williams wrote:
> > (Someone please tell me I'm reading this right before I trash this system
> > AGAIN!)
> >
> Well, discretion can be the better part of valour. Do you really need
> to do this?
> Keith

No, I don't really need to do it - it's more of a nuisance than anything
else. I'm beginning to think now that when I next upgrade Linux on that
machine, I'll make tarballs of  /home and certain parts of /etc and go for a
clean install. That way Mandrake will use the entire disk, create the swap
space again, leave one partition for the rest and I'll restore functionality
from the tarballs (temporarily stored on another machine on the LAN).

> What have you got in each of your existing partitions, how
> big are they, how much free space? You might be better off just moving
> parts of the file system around to get a better balance of free space.

/dev/hda5     2.4G  Used 1.1G 49%
/dev/hda1      1.6G  Used 119Mb   8%

So I'm not short of space, especially as this is the slowest machine on the
LAN and is mainly used for ppp access and firewall, and as a MySQL and
majordomo server. All my work gets done on another machine.

I did try moving parts around, but that's how I last trashed the system. I
moved /etc

..
..
..
..
..
..
..

Yes, I know (NOW!) - moving /etc to a different partition from /boot means
that the kernel cannot work out the init level as there seems to be no init
scripts! Result: It hangs on reboot. (And I lose lot of sleep.)

--

Neil Williams