Re: [LUG] Linux partitions

On Tuesday 16 October 2001 12:05 pm, TREVATXTAL@xxxxxxx wrote about Re: [LUG]
Linux partitions:

> > your question can you merge two partitions.
>
> I have successfully done just as you require useing partition magic with no
> loss of data.
> I had a 8 gig drive with a 2 and a 6 gig partition, useing partition magic
> I made it one linux partition of 8 gig.
> The 6 gig partition was nearly full with Linux files hence the nead for
> more space.
> Trevor
> Long live Linux

Excellent news, Trevor. I bought Partition Magic 6 some time ago when I still
had Windows on the machine but the manual doesn't mention merging Linux
partitions only FAT and NT permutations.

Also, I now realise (I think) why the partition added when I first installed
Windows was hda5 - am I right to think that this is because the first 4
partition labels are for primary partitions? Then because this machine was
sole-Windows before being dual-boot, wouldn't it have gone to hda5 anyway? My
other machine has, except I can't be 100% sure as I also changed my mind
during the install on this one too and may have inadvertently fouled up the
partition table.

Trevor - did you just follow the manual instructions for merging windows
partitions (allowing for the fact that Partition Magic would have to run from
a floppy as it can't be installed on Linux)?

When I did install Partition Magic on the old Windows partition, it only
showed two partitions: Windows and Linux (which being an extended partition
included the swap partition). So the current 2 Linux partitions should be
adjacent.

I've got this from fdisk -l under the current Linux only system:
/dev/hda1    *     1           197       83         Linux
/dev/hda2         198        525       85          Linux extended
/dev/hda5         198       497      83           Linux
/dev/hda6          498       525      82          Linux swap

So the Linux partition on hda1 (the old Windows partition) is adjacent to the
Linux extended partition (hda2) and the original Linux partition within the
extended area starts without a gap, so is also adjacent?

(Someone please tell me I'm reading this right before I trash this system
AGAIN!)

:-))

--

Neil Williams