RE: [LUG] the met office

On 04-Oct-2001 at 10:47:37 MATTHEW BROWNING wrote:
> As follows:  Mrs. Browning has recently completed her MSc and is
> currently taking tentative steps into the world of gainful
> employment.  One application form received is for the mentioned
> organisation.  The job description is standard stuff and demands
> experience of using software to model environmental processes (okay
> so far).  In the list of prerequisites, however, is listed
> 'proficiency in UNIX programming'.  A phone call later and we are

The statement itself is somewhat vague. In that respect they do not seem to
be asking for someone with specific requirements. I would have thought that
they were referring to the C language *and* working in a UNIX environment -
as opposed to knowing C but on a Windows machine. If Mrs B knows shell
programming (but then which one? Korn, C, Bourne, etc, etc) and/or Perl then
so much the better.

I suspect it will come done to how well she does in the interview, and,
putting it bluntly, how much bull-shitting she can get away with! :-) The
use of a home linux machine can only be an advantage so make sure she
mentions it :-)

Good luck to her by the way :-)

John.