RE: [LUG] the met office

> What's the question?
>
> 'ooroo

As follows:  Mrs. Browning has recently completed her MSc and is
currently taking tentative steps into the world of gainful
employment.  One application form received is for the mentioned
organisation.  The job description is standard stuff and demands
experience of using software to model environmental processes (okay
so far).  In the list of prerequisites, however, is listed
'proficiency in UNIX programming'.  A phone call later and we are
none the wiser.  Our home system comprises one RH7.1 box and one
Debian 2.2 at present, so she is at home in a UNIX environment, in
addition, a significant part of her project involved the development
of an involved model in C.  One interpretation would suggest that
this fulfils the criterion in question.  However, they might intend
for you to understand this comment to mean 'knows loads of Perl', or
'competent in system maintenance' etc.
I just reckoned there was an outside chance that someone could throw
some light on this.  MB.