From: Neil Williams [mailto:linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Sunday, September 23, 2001 8:05 PM
To: LUG
Subject: [LUG] LUG upgrade - members area

There's now a members area at the LUG website where you can write
distribution reviews online!  All the formatting is done for you!

The website will deal with the links to your review from the rest of the
site
but there is a restriction on links within the text. If you want to link to
another site directly from within a paragraph, write the review and let me
know what you want added.  Remember to add one paragraph at a time and check

each paragraph for content before clicking Add.

Also, list members can add their own website to the members sites page. I've

finished automating this process too, so now anyone who is not already
listed
on http://www.dclug.org.uk/linux_adm/members.html can have their name and
website added. (Only one link per person - the members area won't allow you
to add another site if you are already listed.)

To access the members area, you need a password from me. All those
interested, email me at neil@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Non-members can still write reviews direct to me and I can add them for you.

List members who choose not to have a password can send reviews to the list
and ask for it to be added to the site, but I'd encourage everyone to try it

out. I've tested it with a review of Mandrake 8.0 on my laptop and it copes
with large pages. If you have a slow connection, you might want to enter
longer paragraphs in a text editor prior to going online. Those with a home
network have it easy - type the review on another machine while the
installation goes on beside you!

The members area is new and there is a lot than CAN be done with it but I
need to know what members want from the site. All comments considered,
perhaps we could have a Member Register area where people can get to know
other members from a short intro piece, written by the member concerned.
Meetings are another possible addition - info on where, when, maps etc.

--

Neil Williams