Re: [LUG] Windows animosity.

Neil Stone wrote:
>>for instance this wretched isp (BT) activly discourages use of anything

other than ms
However, I have (many times) used Linux to access BTInternet !!!

Yeah, like many others I also use Linux with my speedtouch ADSL link (a phone call to openworlds level 2 tech support told me this was not possible because unix machines do not have USB ports! - it is little wonder that so much is biased towards microsoft products when level 2 tech (and I am sure higher) know nothing else.

Our job is not to flame these people but rather to inform them that there can be alternatives if they are prepared to put in the time and effort to research them - Oh and of course providing something can be done about the stranglehold microsoft have over systems builders where using non microsoft OS's on any of the range of machines shipped results in much higher licence prices for microsoft OS's for those systems builders. I beleive there was some small case in the states recently where this was brought up.....

Sorry for the heavy snipping

A) AOL !! <--- Linux port soon :-D

This is good?

B) Webcam <--- give me a while to read that linux format !

Let us know if it works.

C) Printer (USB OfficeJet G85) <--- not sure, anyone got anything here ??

I run a USB printer from one of my Linux boxes too. Maybe we should tell openworld about those USB ports on unix boxes...

Seriously people though, huge anti microsoft flames will never get the <substitute your alternative to microsoft product here> cause anywhere.

It make us look like whinging children. Through measusred argument, reason and practical demonstration alone will the masses be shown there can be an alternative.

I will openly admit, I use microsoft products. I need to share information with people that use only MS products, whose closed nature currently make this the only viable option. I see nothing wrong with having 2 linux and one windows box on my desktop and linux on my servers. The more we know about everything out there the better informed we are and the more able to make a reasoned choice over what to use and in what situation (not least what we find what works and does not in certain situations and this allows us to improve our own software).

Just my 2 peneth

-James