Re: [LUG] Windows animosity.

Alex Charrett wrote:

> To be honest, Windows systems have good and bad aspects, as does
> everything else.  I rather feel the key to the success of any system is
> its ability to interoprate with other systems.
>
> In these times however no operating
> system can exist in isolation.

I've been guilty of the Windoze and M$ reference, somewhere, if
not here.

I think Microsoft's published and leaked documents on their
approach to standards show that they believe Windows can operate
in isolation, and they are doing their best to enforce it.

You can't interoperate if you don't know how protocols are
implemented, and if the dominant player doesn't implement or
properly support well known standards.

I remember a time when networking computers from different
vendors was expensive, and it wasn't good for business (The
users not the vendors - Digital made millions selling software
that let other things talk to their DIGITAL servers).

The Microsoft domination of the desktop is the big issue. The
World Wide Web is being eroded by increasing numbers of
"Microsoft" only sites, to the point where this is becoming an
issue for any non-Microsoft surfer. Whilst the one supplier
model seems to make interoperability easier, the implementation
isn't necessarily better (more secure, robust, sensible), for
being controlled by one organisation.

When working on Enterprise networking projects it is always
amazing just how badly Microsoft do some things from a technical
perspective, and how much it has changed between versions
(Usually a good indication it wasn't done well in the first
place).

--
Are you using the Internet to best effect ? www.eighth-layer.com
Tel: +44(0)1395 232769      ICQ: 116952768