Re: [LUG] Linux is 10 years old

Bob Sarah wrote:

> So how is it done and is this what is
> meant by context switching?

Context switching is when the CPU switches from one process to
another.

The overhead of this is often important in deciding on
implementation issues.

Linux has a very low overhead for context switching, this also
had some effects on how they implemented the handling of
threads.

> What are Posix threads?

POSIX is the Portable Operating System standards, a standard
body of the US government I believe. They have been steadily
defining and refining various programming API's, and related
software interfaces, for many years. For example "bash" is based
largely on the Posix shell standard. Many Linux/Unix manual
pages will list Posix conformance where it applies (see "man
fork" for example).

Some people tend to talk of POSIX compliance as if it were one
standard, but it clearly isn't, for example Windows NT has a
POSIX subsystem (Required to sell IT stuff to parts of the US
Federal Government), but it doesn't as far as I know ship with a
POSIX compliant shell. I guess if you see conforming to the
minimal standards required to sell to the US Federal Government
as a hurdle, then you could end up refering to meeting this
requirement as "POSIX compliant".

"POSIX threads" refers to a thread library implementation
conforming to their standards.

The thread standards have been out long enough for most UNIX
flavours to have conforming implementations, although as always
with big standards, there is sometimes still the odd discrepancy
in implementation.

I'll let others with more formal qualifications in computing
answer your other questions.

--
Are you using the Internet to best effect ? www.eighth-layer.com
Tel: +44(0)1395 232769      ICQ: 116952768