Re: [LUG] XML

Matthew Browning wrote:

I need some help with XML here but none of this lot are any good.

I reckon I might be able to blag a course:  does anyone know of
anything in/around Devon?  (Tried GoogleUK search, the Uni, local
colleges, WOM already)

Any suggestions welcomed.  MB.
<<

I'm willing to give you all the help you need. I run XML and XSLT and I'm
just waiting for someone to work out how to implement XFile and XPath in a
2D browser and I'll have a crack at that too.

As for Simon's stance of 'Duh, what's it for' :-) take a look at codehelp
you luggard!

The CodeHelp site runs in XML when you view the site with the only XSLT
capable browser available at present: Internet Explorer 5. (IE6 I haven't
tried yet and MS might have changed the implementation of XSLT as it was
still a 'work in progress' when I wrote the XSLT). I use XML for one simple
reason: file size.

I reduced the size of the site by 50% by writing in XML. I reduced it a
further 20% using PHP to export XML or XHTML, but that's another story. XML
is simply a method of separating the formatting from the data within a HTML
page. It has many many more uses too, including data mining, flat file data
storage, descriptive storage, data export media, and WML. (Is that a 'use'
or a sideline!!)

The CodeHelp site has a 7 page tutorial on using XML and XSLT to create a
web site from a set of consistent HTML pages - the final format of the pages
must be the same, much like the D&CLUG site - the template is enforced with
each page.

I have also written an XSLT glossary,  but there's more work to do there.

XML is the source of the WML syntax, so using WML/WAP is also a good way of
learning XML syntax. The basics are easy: <p></P> is illegal because p != P.
because <li> hasn't been closed. <center><h1>Title</center>More Title</h1>
is illegal because the </h1> must come within the <center></center> tag as
it was started after <center> (nesting rules are enforced by XML but not
always by HTML.)

The final stage is XHTML which is a kind of half way between XML and HTML.
XHTML is stricter than HTML but can be rendered by most, if not all,
browsers. I use XHTML for nearly all 'HTML' pages on the codehelp site
because I wrote the file in XML and used XSLT to export a XHTML page. That
way I write only 20 lines of XML o get a 150 line HTML page that is
absolutely spot on perfect. Everytime. End of typos.

All the queries you have on XML I'll take a shot at, email me off list.
(Just make sure you read the tutorial first or I'll tell you off.)

:-))

Neil Williams
=========
http://www.codehelp.co.uk
mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

(bit miffed that google didn't raise a link to
www.codehelp.co.uk/html/first.html !!!)