[LUG] Laptop Install

I have an older model laptop with only a floppy drive,
20Mb mem & 520Mb HD. With the aid of a Parallel port
ZIP drive & my desktop machine, with CD & ZIP drive
I'm trying to install Linux on the laptop.
Success has been achieved with HAL91, Mulinux &
Zipslack. These are all fine in their way but I'm more
ambitious & would like a distro which would run
python, perl tcl etc and more ambitiously a minimal X
window system.
Several version of RedHat have been tried. These all
offer a Hard drive install but no matter how the files
are installed on the HD of the laptop they are never
regonised as a redhat installation path by the
install. Using <ALT> F2 during this process it seems
that an ext2 filesytem is being checked. Without linux
being installed I can't see how the files could be
transfered to an ext2 file system!
Caldera Open Linux has also been tried but stumbles
because the filenames are truncated to the DOS limit
of 11 characters. I even installed WIN95 on the laptop
but this too truncates the filenames.
Can anyone recommend a distro which would meet my
needs &/or help me to circumnavigate the hurdles I've
encountered so far. My expertise is not up to any
serious hacking, using rawrite to create a boot
floppy, and being confident enough to use FDISK is
about my limit.

Trevor Sansom