Re: [LUG] TUX BOX

Hopefully we'll be looking t arround #200 then. The big questionof course,is answered in their FAQ:

Why do you feel TuxBox will succeed where Indrema failed?

As this is based on "normal" hardware, any games relased for it will (should) run on my normal linux box> And vice versa? Especially as everything (apart from the decss substiitute and the nvida driver) is open.

Might be nice as a DVD/mp3 player, perhaps with a keyboard and ssh for the living room.

Just sourcing te development spec from Micrdirect (free delivery for me, well, 10 miles away in a company car wit free petrol)

Plus vat fo all prices (in GBP- poundsign isnt working on olib withmy keymap)

Motherbard - 55 http://www.microdirect.co.uk/products/motherboards/pcchips810lmr/pcchipsm810lmr.htm
CPU - 29
CPU Fan - 5
DVD - 35 (12x samsung) http://www.microdirect.co.uk/products/dvd/samsung/samsung12xdvddrive.htm
HDD - (15GB) 52
RAM - 128MB - 12
IRDA - dunno
LCD - dunno ($10? - what lcd are they on about!)
PSU - they say 90W, so 250W - 14
Geforce2 MX - 60
remote control - dunno
case - 19 including the 230W PSU

cost: GBP314 inc vat, includes case (with bundled PSU), but not irda, lcd or remote.

Heh, might buy one of hese just to ransack it for parts ;)

Theirs comes to abou $420, about the same as ours.

The final specification, however, is a little different.

7      Crush Base motherboard

7      AMD Duron 750 MHZ CPU

7      Slim Line DVD 5X

7      Notebook size 2.5? 6.4 Gigabyte hard disk

7      128 MB Shared DDR RAM

7      LCD Display

7      IRDA connetor

Still norml x86 Hardware though - and ddr ram (another 10GBP). They are goin to have t get some pretty big discounts for this stuff. And their case had betterbe good too.

The obvious question is why would we want to replace/suplement our PC's with a console with the same hardware. the PS2 has SGI like hardware, and with linux on it, can outperform a equivelent priced PC by a lot.

Lets just hope that the games are interchangable anyway. I will reserve judgment, yet retire hopeful (althogh downtrodden fromlokis chapter 11 today)

--
Paul Weaver
p.j.weaver@xxxxxxxx

"The best way to accelerate a windows box is at 9.8 meters per second square."