RE: [LUG] Re: Hooray!! A zip drive!!

On 14-Jun-2001 at 21:23:00 Jody Dunstan wrote:
> Firstly, thanks to all the people who helped with my little problem.  It
> took me a while to get over the fear of root and the command line!  Must
> be too long using windows and the fear of the blue screen syndrome...  I
> can now access my zip drive by going in as root and loading inmsmod imm.
>   The drive can know be mounted and unmounted by right-clicking the
> icon.  OK, so I assume that all I need to do is automate this imsmod imm
> thing and I am away.  If anyone can tell me how I will be most greatful.

Friday afternoon and off the top of my head, for RH7.1 I think I put
something like '/sbin/insmod imm' in /etc/rc.modules. The file may not
initially exist, but it gets called by rc.local (?) at boot. The problem
then is that if you don't use the zip drive (after booting) then the module
gets automatically unloaded after about 10 mins. You then have to manually
insmod it again to use the drive. The unloading is the result of a cron job
which runs through unloading unused modules. Obviously handy in some
respects, not in others :-)

Congrats on getting the drive working though - mine's been a life saver some
times :-)

John.