Re: [LUG] Device Permissions

Hello kj,

kkwcu> Just a few more things i am struggling with, i am using SuSe Linux 7.1

kkwcu> I still cannot burn cd's with XCDROAST from a normal users account.

kkwcu> I have installed Grip and BladeEnc, but cannot rip and encode from the CD
kkwcu> drive as Grip reports it cannot access the drive, cd's play ok within Grip
kkwcu> however.

kkwcu> I know that this is because access to the devices are owned by root but i
kkwcu> don't know what to do, i have tried chown user /dev/cdrom and chown user
kkwcu> /dev/scd0 but still both programs cannot access the drive.  XCDROAST reports
kkwcu> being unable to scan the SCSI bus and no gid bit set on mkisofs and two
kkwcu> others which i cannot remeber.

kkwcu> This is turning into a bit of a novel so i wondered if anyone could suggest
kkwcu> a good How-To on device permissions and group permissions etc as i am also
kkwcu> worried about compromising my systems security
kkwcu> Many Thanks
kkwcu> Kelly Jones
kkwcu> --
kkwcu> The Mailing List for the Devon & Cornwall LUG
kkwcu> Mail majordomo@xxxxxxxxxxxx with "unsubscribe list" in the
kkwcu> message body to unsubscribe.

I think you have to modify /etc/fstab, there should be an entry in
there describing the mount point of the cdrom (/mnt/cdrom or whatever)
have a look at "man fstab" for the options to add to the line to make
the device user mountable (I can't remember what it is off hand). You should also
be able to do this for the scsi device too.

I hope this helps

--
Regards,
 Martin                            mailto:mglistmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx