[LUG] Device Permissions

Just a few more things i am struggling with, i am using SuSe Linux 7.1

I still cannot burn cd's with XCDROAST from a normal users account.

I have installed Grip and BladeEnc, but cannot rip and encode from the CD drive as Grip reports it cannot access the drive, cd's play ok within Grip however.

I know that this is because access to the devices are owned by root but i don't know what to do, i have tried chown user /dev/cdrom and chown user /dev/scd0 but still both programs cannot access the drive. XCDROAST reports being unable to scan the SCSI bus and no gid bit set on mkisofs and two others which i cannot remeber.

This is turning into a bit of a novel so i wondered if anyone could suggest a good How-To on device permissions and group permissions etc as i am also worried about compromising my systems security
Many Thanks
Kelly Jones