[LUG] More Wireless stuff

After a mishap with fetchmail losing 93 (thankfully read) messages of mine, I lost the last few days emails :'(

For anyone interested in wlans in general, http://www.wlan2.dabsol.co.uk/page2.html is a good site. Apparently you can get a 2MB/s satelite downlink for about #150 a year too.

>From what I've seen, you can get a pretty fast internet connection (perhaps a mixture of satelite and leased line) for a relativly small cost. Spread between enough people and economies of scale, it should be possible to get high speed for a low cost.

With a low enough cost (say #10 a month), a lot of poeple would be interested. I dont think #10 a month per person is unreasonable either, even with a fairly low contention ratio.

Anyway, I'm sure that if anyone is interested enough to get it going (in any region of exeter), it would be good fun. I'm guessing a lot of people on the list wont want to hear about it though - especially the people in plymouth and other areas of D&C :)

If there are others interested (apart from me and Phil Vossler), speak up now!

/me is kicking himself for being too lazy to get up for Simons LDE talk!

--
Paul Weaver
p.j.weaver@xxxxxxxx

"Well, it's the open source concept, but one notch better, because the
source wouldn't be open" - Derek Burney, CEO Corel. And people wonder
why no one likes "Corel Linux"

"Microsoft product suspected.
Linux zealot team scrambled to liquidate target.
ETA 6 minutes."