Re: [LUG] More Wireless stuff

P.J.Weaver@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> For anyone interested in wlans in general, http://www.wlan2.dabsol.co.uk/page2.html is a good site. Apparently you can get a 2MB/s satelite downlink for about #150 a year too.

The guy running this is now trying to build a new
omnidirectional Microwave antenna fascinating stuff.

Maybe if we persuade Alex to run a new mailing list, we will
get Henry to sign up and share his know how.

> >From what I've seen, you can get a pretty fast internet connection (perhaps a mixture of satelite and leased line) for a relativly small cost. Spread between enough people and economies of scale, it should be possible to get high speed for a low cost.
>
> With a low enough cost (say #10 a month), a lot of poeple would be interested. I dont think #10 a month per person is unreasonable either, even with a fairly low contention ratio.

I'm assured Central Exeter gets ADSL but I don't know of
anyone who has taken it up except Titan in the high street
(one of our glorious LDE sponsors). Which is probably easier
that a satellite link, and less latency as well.

If we had access to a couple of ADSL links we could ship
traffic via both sites, rather than complex routing I'd say
maybe a "proxy" on one site (http;https;mail?), and
miscellaneous other traffic on the other one, we could even
fail-over.

Still the Physics building is well connected !!!! We have
our contacts....

> If there are others interested (apart from me and Phil Vossler), speak up now!
>
> /me is kicking himself for being too lazy to get up for Simons LDE talk!

It's on the web, but Alex seems to have had more problems
converting the talks than I expected....

I'm sitting on two wireless network cards, a currently (till
I persuade my neighbour to network up) "spare" ISA to PCMCIA
converter card, Laptop, and a 5dbi omnidirectional antenna
for said cards, but being in a hollow 5 miles east of Exeter
I lack line of site to anywhere that isn't rolling farm land
(even the physics building) *8-( - wonder what the view is
like if I stand on the roof....

Certainly happy to drag this kit to Exeter for proof of
concept stuff in the evenings.

Henry has said we are at the head of the queue for the new
Omnidirectional antenna. Antennas and amps will be the
secret to making it work, most amps will require amateur
radio license currently.

My understanding of antenna is pretty limited, despite the
physics degree. To offer a wireless service you want
omnidirectional antennas, but to get range you want
directional antenna. In Wales they are building a network
with relay stations that have both an Omni and directional
antennas to other relays.

DIY antenna seems to be the rage for directional antenna,
various designs exist using helixal wire antenna, basically
you wrap a wire around a bit of plastic pipe very carefully.

--
Simon Waters
Are you using the Internet to best effect ?