From: owner-lug-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:owner-lug-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Neil Williams
Sent: Friday, May 18, 2001 7:46 PM
To: LUG List
Subject: [LUG] Problems with SAMBA/eth0

I have Linux Mandrake 7.2 installed on three dual-boot machines and whenever
I access the SAMBA shares from Windows (from any box to any box), the first
attempt is always blocked. I have to telnet into whichever box(es) is/are
running Linux and run:
/etc/rc5.d/S10network reload
As soon as that is complete, I can refresh My Computer / Network
Neighbourhood and the Linux machine is suddenly accessible. It seems to make
no odds which machine is started first. (BTW Simon, I ditched the BNC
connectors for a hub which makes boot-up easier, as discussed on the Linux
Install Day.)
Thing is that I need access to a Linux directory via a mapped network drive
and it is this which fails. HTTP is fine, FTP and Telnet also work without
the network reload being needed. I can access the internet from either linux
box via the Windows proxy without problems. It is only the access to the
SAMBA shares from Network Neighbourhood and the resultant mapping of a
network drive under Windows/SAMBA. This, I think, relies on IPX (well,
removing or unbinding IPX certainly disables mapping of network drives).

What might be going on?

Neil Williams