Re: [LUG] Swapfile (was gcc cannot make an executable)

On Mon, 1 May 2000, Alex Charrett wrote:
> On Mon, 1 May 2000, Mark Harvey wrote:
>
> > Obviously I need to set up the swapfile, but I cannot see how to do this.
> > I thought I had set up a swapfile when installing Linux (from the Linux
> > Answers mag - which does say to do that) but it is not appearing above.
>
> Try doing swapon and see if that helps, then use fdisk to see if youve got
> a swap partition.  If youve not you'll need to repartition the disk so
> youve got one (generally you want twice the amount of physical
> memory).  If thats not easy to do without nuking everything then
> re-install.

A nice way of managing all your partitions and multibooting is partition
magic. I have used it for a while and its definatly made my life
easier. Its well worth forking out for.

In particular it lets you resize ext2 and linux swap as well as fat and
fat32 partitions even move them and there contents around on the disk.

Afterwoods if you have moved them you will have to update lilo.conf (ie if
you have moved something it may now be hdb3 instead of hdb4) and
everything should work fine - of course YMMV and you **HAVE** to
***BACKUP** whenever you do anything to partitions as when things go
wrong they go really wrong. As long as you read the documentation tho'
everything **should** be fine.

A.

--
<!-- betty  at  area51 --><A HREF = "http://www.termisoc.org/~betty">
LAUNCELOT:  We were in the nick of time. You were in great peril.