[LUG] Life and 42

Off course there is life out there!  Just been sooo busy!  And I'm one of
the exiles from Plymouth - well until September, when I'm back there.

And I'm up for a social event anytime, a good pint of beer goes down well
with me!

Reading what Jon said, about the NASDAQ.  It all started with Microsoft
being found guilty, and as Jon said, no investor seems to have a clue on
who does what in the hi-tech industries.

I hope in some way the price picks up again, or becomes more stable, as it
could be bad news for developers, and such like, in that we can't earn so
much money.  (I heard someone the other day who is working on a Lotus
notes system, and could earn 600 quid a hour!!)

As for Linux getting into the desktop market, it could get there, but it
will be a while yet.  When the judge on the Microsoft trial rules on what
to do with them, I think we will have a better idea, on what may
happen.  Main problems with Linux,

1. It not as easy to set up as windows - though Corel I believe are trying
to address this problem.  The average day to day user find installing
Windows hard enough.
2. Where are the killer apps - like Office and all.  Ok Star office is
there, so it may be a case of marketing linux?
3. Rapid Application Development is not that easy at the moment, compared
to say Delphi, and Visual Basic.  Ok Borland are working on a version of
Delphi which will work under Linux.  The acid test will be, just load a
app that I wrote in a Windows environment and re-compile it, and run
it.  I'm talking a heavy duty database app here, not just a "hello
world" program!
4. Last time I look at the Mac (Some time ago), it was covering mostly the
desktop publishing area.  Interestingly I've can't seem to find any DTP on
freshmeat - yet!

Just me 2p's worth

Peter Hatton
E-mail:  bramley at termisoc.org
Webpage: http://www.termisoc.org/~bramley
PGP Fingerprint: 1558 65D7 C77E 5DB3 CD8E 70CF 56DF 2DBC 40DB 06EC