[Fwd: Re: [LUG] Linux as a print server]

-------- Original Message -------- Subject:  Date:  From:  To:  References:

If you think you have a limited number of nodes available on your network, then it
may be you are running NETBEUI Microsoft's network protocol. If so you would
have to download the tcp/ip bits needed for networking from www.microsoft.com
These are not included with wwg. I don't know if samba can connect NETBEUI.

Paul Sutton wrote: Hi,I would like some advice on if the following is possible I work with dartington tech on placement, Myself and a colleague have today set up a Peer to peer network of 6 machines (which is maximum as far as we know) using 386's and 486's running windows 3.11.  The network cards used are old 8 bit some made by SMC others by intel. Anyway the network is currently working ok and each user can print to the printer via the network and the computer connected to the printer,  Connected via ethernet , 50 ohm terminators and ethernet cable. Sorry this is the only experience I have with real networking so I think what we have achived in one day is very good. We would really like to expand to include all the computers in the room (about 16) and as this would require a network server I suggested that we could use Linux asa) it's free and won't cost Dartington tech any moneyb) the licence means we can do this and that I can give them a copy of the software I just have to convince them that this is legal, would a copy of the GPL licence suffice in doing this? One problem is I have no idea if it can be done, we would like to have a dedicated server to handle print jobs and possibly store files, I am not sure how to go about setting this up, I have red hat 6.1 at home but as the only hardware we have is basic 486's with 8mb and small less than 150mb harddisk space.  I know that Linux runs on a 486 but it may need serious hacking of the kernel to make it small enough to fit. So1. Is this possible2. Do we need to use samba to allow the Linux computer to be able to handle print jobs from the windows computers (Running works 3)? All users need is to be able to use works for word processing, printing. 3. Does samba require Xwindow?4, What minimum spec would you recommend for this?.5. What FAQ's and how to's would you recommend we read?.  Thanks for any help or advice regarding this Paul Suttonmailto:lonehacker at hotmail.comorpsutton24 at hotmail.com -- lug-list - The Mailing List for the Devon &CCornwall LUG Mail majordomo at lists.termisoc.org with "unsubscribe lug-list" in the message body to unsubscribe.
Lynx friendly