Re: [LUG] DPN

On Sun, 23 Jan 2000, Jon Still wrote:

> Me doing follow-up support....depends on how much we can teach them and
> how clued-up they are to begin with.

er.. I was only joshin' but if you want to I'm sure they'd be chuffed

> Fundamental issue here (as commented on in forwarded email):
>
> Are we dealing with just an office network?  Just the server side or
> clients as well (Linux on the desktop side is inadvisable at this stage -
> it's just not stable/consistent enough for use by "your average
> user").  What services are they looking at providing?  What hardware do
> they have available?

waiting for a reply. we may only have to go in and show how easy it is to
set up a client and server, and give them some pointers about security
(read this book do what it says, check this website follow its
instructions, etc)

> If we're dealing with a webserving aspect as well, we're going to need to
> think seriously about things. Foremost issue in my mind on this is
> security (an issue which I don't mind taking ownership of btw).  Then of
> course we need to look at scalability and availability - to examine this
> in any detail we need more details as what kind of traffic is being
> expected (quantities, etc) and details about what kind of service is being
> offerred.  As it is we know all too little about what this company
> actually want to do.

Its not a company its a community project - aimed at connecting the It
people in cornwall into a cohesive group that can pull together to get
things done - and to provide resources for ppl new to the industry that
don't have access to the net, pc's, etc.

> Leaving the actual set-up of the network to one side, what do the people
> who are running it know?  What systems/infrastructure do they already have
> in place?  Are they fairly up on standard Unix sysadmin procedures? (it's
> quite an easy transition to Linux)  Or are they an NT house?  Does their
> knowledge extend to IP, DNS, etc etc?

Apparently they have an NT clone admin, urgh! I will advise them to
readvertise the post if she can't cope with a real operating system
(admins are supposed to allow you to do more, not restrict you as most NT
admins seem to). If you can't admin linux how the fuck will you admin big
iron like as/400s and suns?

> I'd much rather we all go in knowing exactly what we have to do (as a
> group and as individuals) and where our responsibility begins and
> ends...otherwise we'll all  go in bickering over whos doing what and
> there'll be no real productive outcome.

don't worry - I sent a mail requesting more info yesterday and I'm waiting
for a reply. We seem fairly agreed on most of it - whoever knows most
about something does it - simple. (which means I will end up doing is
setting up mod_perl and some other dev stuff while Chas and norm being
admin wizz's do the clever stuff :)

A.

--
<!-- betty  at  area51 --><A HREF = "http://www.termisoc.org/~betty">
LAUNCELOT:  We were in the nick of time. You were in great peril.