From: owner-lug-list at area51.termisoc.org
[mailto:owner-lug-list at area51.termisoc.org]On Behalf Of Trevor Sansom
Sent: Friday, April 27, 2001 11:33 PM
To: lug-list at termisoc.org
Subject: [LUG] Suse 7.1 install probs

s a relative newbie I now find that Linux is my
prefered OS. A friend recently asked my advise as he
was unable to install Suse 7.1 on a 1.2GHz with 41Gb,
DMA 100 IDE HardDrive & 256Mb. I tried and it seemed
to make a mess of formatting the HD. It started with
one large partition (41Gb) setup using dos FDISK from
a floppy. The machine was therefore without an OS
before attempted installation. I retried to install by
booting from CD and after the install rebooted many
disc faults were reported, a command line was
available but no X. Checking with DOS FDISK revealed
several partiions one with minus 128Mb. DOS FDISK
could not remove all partitions.
I then resorted to a free magazine distro of Mandrake
7.2 on a single CD. Within 20 minutes all up &
running. My friend says that his nephew who originally
purchased Suse had similar problems.
Anyone care to comment?
Trevor Sansom