RE: [LUG] Sharp business practice in North Devon

> Another good start would be to disassociate .vbs file extensions with the
> inbuilt windows scripting thing.   Has anyone seen vb scripting used for a
> legitimate purpose?

Yes.  ASP web pages uses VB scripting, and so do Outlook 98 forms.  Other
than that, no.  I was working on a project some time ago using Outlook 98,
before that famous virus of love came about.  What surprised me was how easy
it was to program a script to access the file system.

On all my mail accounts which I have control over, I've installed a procmail
filter, which is pretty good.  What it does, is change the extension of any
files that could be executed, and also it disables any dodgy html (Such as
<Script> tags) within the odd html mail I get.  Sometimes you get a email,
with a message, and a great long script which isn't going anyway.

It also has a few side effects, the ITN HTML newsletter doesn't work
properly, and the bit that doesn't work is the advert rotation script! (Not
that I'm complaining!.  Also you have to rename some files to load them, but
then you should know who and why is sending the attachment in the first
place...

Have a look at http://www.impsec.org/email-tools/procmail-security.html

Peter Hatton
E-mail:  bramley at termisoc.org