RE: [LUG] ipchains, iptables or what

On 26-Mar-01 at 12:04:36 Alex Charrett wrote:
> I'd never heard of iproute2 until just then.
>
>From the 2.4.2 kernel Changes file:

  The IP firewalling and NAT code has been replaced again.  The new
  netfilter software (including ipfwadm and ipchains backwards-
  compatible modules) is currently distributed separately.

  If you have advanced network configuration needs, you should probably
  consider using the network tools from ip-route2.

------------------

My 'worry' here is that although I do not have 'advanced network
configuration needs', knowing my luck I'd use iptables only to find that
everyone else used ip-route2 and that it (ip-route2) was then to become the
recommended firewalling util. You get the drift.

Really I only need this stuff for some packet filtering so that the people
at work are happy that my PC is secure. Ipchains was easy enough to set up
for the services I do use, so I thought 'upgrading' should not be too much
of a problem.

> I'm not *too* sure what it does yet, but
> http://www.braindump.dk/en/wiki/?wikipage=PolicyRouting
>
> seems to indicate that you would use iproute2 in conjunction with
> iptables.

Quite possible (although a little vague - or perhaps I'm just reading it
wrong), and it does mention them as 'tools' above rather than a complete
firewall/NAT/masquerading/etc system. Awful web page by the way!

> I do however, reserve the right to be completely wrong :)

Yes, but we won't tell anyone if you are :-)

On 26-Mar-01 at 12:36:35 Peter Hatton wrote:
> This is worth a read on the new stuff in iptables.
>
> http://securityportal.com/cover/coverstory20010122.html

Thanks.

On 26-Mar-01 at 12:17:38 Jon Still wrote:
> Gah...
>
> Install OpenBSD and use ipfilter :-)

Hmm...you don't see this as overkill then? :-)

> http://coombs.anu.edu.au/~avalon/ip-filter.html
> http://www.obfuscation.org/ipf/
>
> Oh, and ipf is cross-platform too.  OpenBSD, FreeBSD, NetBSD, Solaris,
> SunOS, BSD/OS, IRIX, HP-UX, etc etc etc.

Thanks for this. I'll certainly read through the references people have
supplied.

Thanks,

John.

E-mail: jhorne at plymouth.ac.uk