[LUG] 2.4 kernels

On 24-Mar-01 at 11:03:50 claws at thewildbeast.co.uk wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Mar 2001 12:26:29 -0000 (GMT)
> John Horne <J.Horne at plymouth.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>> BTW - for those thinking of the 2.4.2 kernel - make sure you get a 2.4
>> version of pppd. Without it, as I found, ppp doesn't work (drops the
>> connection), and without it you can't download the 2.4 rpm because you
>> need ppp, which doesn't work, so you need to download the 2.4 rpm but
>> you need ppp, which doesn't work, so you need to download the 2.4
>> rpm...:-) You get the picture.
>
> You need all the following for  a kernel 2.4.x
> (taken from the kernel-2.4.x-HOWTO)

[snipped]

Most of these are already up to spec with bulk standard RH 7.0. Things like
pcmcia aren't used (by me) so no need to upgrade them. Whilst it is true
that I should have checked the changes file first, I was already running a
2.4.0 test kernel and 'forgot' :-)

My point was that if you do upgrade without the new pppd then you may be a
bit stuck without some other means of Internet access in order to get the
new pppd rpm.

Oddly enough I still had an old 2.2.16 kernel available (via lilo and on the
disk), but booting that didn't help. Odd, since changing the kernel won't
change the pppd file itself.

I was going to look into the new reiserFS available with the 2.4 kernels
(which will require new versions of the fsutils and perhaps others), but I
think I'll just wait for RH 7.1 and see what joys that brings :-)

John.

E-mail: jhorne at plymouth.ac.uk