RE: [LUG] PPP link prob

On 22-Mar-01 at 22:35:45 Tom Laithwate wrote:
> hi, long time since I posted, I have learned quite a bit since then
> (Perl is so easy to learn, 'learning perl' is the best computer book
> ever IMHO). Hope to play a more active role in the LUG from now on.
>
> I am setting up a 'Dial-on-demand' server, however I have come
> unstuck fairly early on with the connection to my ISP (Eclipse).
>
> The script send CONNECT which works fine (I have a SAY after this)
> but the server doesn't reply with 'ogin', or any variation (I can
> think of!). A have a feeling that I am making a very stupid mistake,
> but I can't try indefinetly because its 5p a time ;-)
> KPPP works so its not the system

Try looking in the system log file(s) - /var/log/messages probably. It
should/may show the conversation ppp is having. Alternatively try running
minicom and doing the initial conversation by hand.

BTW - for those thinking of the 2.4.2 kernel - make sure you get a 2.4
version of pppd. Without it, as I found, ppp doesn't work (drops the
connection), and without it you can't download the 2.4 rpm because you need
ppp, which doesn't work, so you need to download the 2.4 rpm but you need
ppp, which doesn't work, so you need to download the 2.4 rpm...:-) You get
the picture.

John.

E-mail: jhorne at plymouth.ac.uk