Re: [LUG] Help with my Linux

> Peter M Le Mare wrote:
>
> I wish to find someone who can help.

Definitely a good place to come.

> I have recently after many
> difficulties multibooted with a version of Red Hat Linux and using
> KDE. My sound, and even more of a problem my modem doesn't work.

I braved the first cheap (about 30 quid) V90 external modem I could find
(In my case Titan in Exeter High Street - but that is a tad far for
yourself). Since most external modems don't require a driver as such,
they usually just work.

Some onboard modems require fancy drivers to run under Windows, and are
thus termed Winmodems, typically these don't work on Linux, although
more and more drivers are appearing for them.

What kind of modem and soundcard do you have?

For my soundcard on Redhat I had lots of fun, and then one day hit on
"sndconfig" (run as root) and it started working straight away (Even if
the introductory snippit from Linus sounded like it was Finnish over a
railway tannoy).

> Also I seem to be unable to change my Monitor resolution: I am locked
> into 640 X 480 True Colour (32bit) but I know I have support for 800 X
> 600 and 1024 X 768. I have tried to go to Xconfigurator but sem to be
> unable to run it - just nothing happens. Being a complete novice for
> Linux (or Unix commands) please someone tell me what to do in simple
> language. It maybe I just don't understand how to "Run" something in
> Linux.

Video Cards can be fun, but they are getting easier with every release
of xfree86.

Think we need a bit more background - what Video card do you have? What
version of Redhat (as different versions have different set up tools).

I think the default Redhat installs usually let you change resolution
with Ctrl+Alt+"-" and Ctrl+Alt+"+" - two new three fingered salutes to
learn, if the current configuration supports them. If this works, then
just edit the configuration file to default to your preferred settings.

The video settings just get dropped in /etc/X11/XF86Config, but do back
up a copy before changing it.

Also try www.xfree86.org for more ideas and information.

All the video card documents come with dire warnings about permanently
damaging your computer if you do it wrong. This is probably true, but I
suspect most Linux newbies would have wiped out several graphics cards
on their first attempts if this kind of damage was common.

	HTH

	Simon
--
Want to learn about Linux? Get it installed?
Devon and Cornwall LUG Event for UK Linux Day