Re: [LUG] 20220719 Success. I feel improved.

On 19/07/2022 17:33, comrade meowski wrote:
On 19/07/2022 17:13, Eion MacDonald wrote:

(No copy of openSUSE DVD, as that can ONLY install, not work as a Live Linux; but a Live Linux version with openSUSE LEAP KDE installed.)

https://download.opensuse.org/distribution/leap/15.4/live/

Is this what you're looking for?

That suffers exactly as I described. You must select one known DE before download.

I am well aware of the openSUSE LIVE versions, each of these is tied to ONE DE only, e.g. KDE, Gnome, XFCE etc.; while the DVD install disc offers these and other or all or minimum web install and then load software, all on one DVD at the same time. I usually install both KDE and XFCE, DEs as they suit different workloads I do.

The site you mention does offer each DE as a single Live download.

The DVD install disk is meant for those who have non high speed internet so a Purchased DVD gives them a big variety of choice. (Historical reason still valid, in my area Lancashire, many have very slow internet speeds and there are a lot of 'not spots' both for
wired internet and more so for mobile phone networks).
Likewise in Mid Wales where I also go.
E.G. in my village and round about only BT and Vodafone mobile connections work, while where I worked (18 miles away) only EE and 3 worked, so two mobiles were necessary to have mobile-phone at home and work. [In village at one street on outskirts and only outside a building a one bar strength signal is available from EE].
I stick to wired ethernet where I can.
Odd? Virgin put cable internet into the village but only in the DE demographic areas. Presumably as these use sports cable channels. The other area (60% nuclear industry folk, high PhD concentration just have BT), marketing rules. there were 3 (yes, three) nuclear reactors in the village when I moved here many years ago. Now all 'de-commissioned' , but the industrial estate established at one of the sites was named 'Trident Estate'; I wonder why.
PS I was a subcontractor to the nuclear industry among others.

I have used the DVD download or purchase since SUSE 8 , a long time ago.

The lack of a Live full distro may have held openSUSE adoption back, since the DVD is not try and install, but "only install", so folk are wary of it.
The Live distro versions need a DE choice to be made before use.

 Something 'triers' might not have knowledge of.

I like and have used openSUSE (previously SuSE) for many years, but it is not everyone's first choice.

--
Regards
Eion MacDonald